03 June 2011

OVNI

03 June 2011
Dinner last night was interesting... Miguel (one of my "host family's" sons) came over for dinner and the wife actually ate with us! There was a lot of conversation, especially in comparison to the usual dinner where the owner talks and talks and talks and never seems to stop. (But really, I don't even have to comment or anything because he just keeps talking....)

Either way, they were all excitedly talking about OVNIs and I understood Omnis (colectivo). In any case, I wasn't really paying that close of attention to the conversation until I could no longer avoid not chiming in. They were talking about how craters were formed in Cordoba and then I had to ask - 'What exactly are we talking about?' ... 'OVNIs' 


As I came to find out, OVNI stands for objeto valador no identificado or as we all know it - unidentified flying object. Why were we talking about UFOs you might ask...well, I really don't have a good answer for that. What I do know is that they all thought that they saw a UFO in Buenos Aires in 1982/5? Are you kidding me??! At first I thought they were kidding, but insistently said saw a UFO....I'll let that one sink in... Apparently this UFO was so large that the military planes tried to get near it, but they could never reach it. At one point, the UFO had a giant pole that it lowered down for who knows what reason.

This morning on my way to work,  I was reading the paper (La Razon - The Reason) and they had a part about UFOs. Ironic. For all of you interested, there is a documental called Invasion Extraterrestre (Extra-terrestrials Invasion) that talks about what would happen if extra-terrestrials attacked Earth and how we would defend ourselves. Scientists in the Department of Defense consider this to be a 'real possibility and one that we shouldn't ignore.' Thus, they are developing military tactics and strategies for it.

If this isn't intriguing enough, there are more out-of-this-world experiences occurring in recent years, such as 20 some cows found without a single drop of blood in their bodies in La Pampa, Argentina (without any puncture marks on their bodies) or cars that just stop running on certain roads. I also found an article online that NASA "verified" the sighting of a UFO in Argentina this past December.

Speaking of NASA, during dinner they also discussed how they don't think that Neil Armstrong actually landed on the moon....again, are you kidding me?! Apparently they landing was 'filmed' elsewhere to make it seem as though he landed on the moon, but with today's technology you can see that it is actually a backdrop. Thankfully we didn't discuss Michael Jackson, but a few weeks ago an Argentine told me that he thought that Michael Jackson faked his death and is actually in hiding. Um, I'm pretty sure he's dead. If he had wanted to fake his death, I bet he would have done so a long time ago, but then again...what do I know?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Adventures of the Gringa in Buenos Aires