06 June 2011

Staying Informed

06 June 2011
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot has happened since I've been in Argentina:

  • Extreme flooding in Brazil
  • Japanese earthquake and tsunami
  • Multiple tornadoes in the U.S.
  • Earthquake in Spain
  • ...and now the Chilean volcano 

It may also be that I don't pay that much attention to the news when I'm in the States, but I feel like I would have been informed of any worldly news items of this magnitude. Either way, the recent eruption of the Chilean volcano doesn't make me want to visit Chile anytime in the near future (even thought I had planned on it when I first got to Argentina).

A few days ago, a friend was supposed to fly into Buenos Aires from the Bariloche area, but the flights were cancelled due to the ashes that covered everything and when I saw them on tv...it reminded me of a snow storm. Today, I heard that these ashes will be arriving in Buenos Aires tomorrow! The volcano located is more than 1,000 km from here, but due to the direction and speed of the wind, ashes have already arrived in other parts of the province of Buenos Aires.  We shall see...

I'll leave you with the post be CNN, which has pictures: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/06/thousands-evacuate-ashes-spread-after-chilean-volcano-erupts/?hpt=wo_t1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Adventures of the Gringa in Buenos Aires